National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
Allergy and Infectious Disease Research Building
Occupied by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID) and constructed in 1941, Building 4 was one of the first laboratory buildings constructed on the NIH Bethesda campus. The building houses specialized infectious disease laboratories, an insectary, and an animal research and microscopy core facility. Prior to LSY’s LEED Silver renovation, the building was last renovated in 1985. Initially, LSY completed an analysis of the mechanical and electrical systems and provided recommendations for design and renovation to accommodate a state-of-the-art biomedical research facility.
The evaluation suggested alternative renovation strategies capable of meeting the overall functional objectives of the NIH at a lower estimated construction cost. Due to the building’s age, historic preservation efforts were required and included the selection of windows to match those existing, as well as a main entry door to retain the building’s original character. To achieve LEED Silver certification, LSY worked with end users and facility management to incorporate appropriate energy saving strategies, including water use reduction, lighting and temperature controls, and day lighting of 75% of the spaces.